Expert surgeons in Central Virginia
At HCA Virginia Physicians, our multispecialty surgical teams in both the Greater Richmond and Fredericksburg regions have years of experience helping patients who need surgical treatment. Our surgeons work closely with each patient to properly diagnose their condition and decide the best treatment option to suit their individual needs. Additionally, with advanced surgical options, such as minimally invasive robotic technology, patients receive effective treatment with minimal recovery time.
To find out more information or receive an evaluation, visit one of our general surgeons by scheduling an appointment.
Our surgeons are dedicated to offering comprehensive, compassionate care. We want to ensure patients feel comfortable about their surgical procedure. Some of the surgeries we offer include:
Our general surgeons treat a wide range of conditions in patients, including:
- Colon cancer
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Morbid obesity
Our surgeons are experienced in treating many diseases of the:
- Small intestine
In addition to general surgical procedures, we offer many specialty surgeries to ensure our patients receive the advanced care they deserve. These include:
We offer multiple options for bariatric surgery, including:
- Gastric banding—In a gastric banding procedure, a band is placed around the outside of the upper stomach. Over time, the tightness of the band is adjusted to help the patient continually meet their weight loss goals. As it tightens, the patient feels full sooner and longer, encouraging ongoing gradual weight loss.
- Roux en-Y gastric bypass—The Roux en-Y gastric bypass—also referred to as simply "gastric bypass"—is the most common and successful type of malabsorptive surgery. During gastric bypass, a smaller stomach pouch is created and the small intestine is attached to the pouch to allow food to bypass the lower stomach and part of the small intestine.
- Vertical sleeve gastrectomy (gastric sleeve)—The vertical sleeve gastrectomy, also referred to as a "gastric sleeve," is a form of restrictive weight loss surgery in which approximately 85 percent of the stomach is removed. The remaining stomach is about the size of a banana. Patients may opt to have this surgery if they are concerned about the effects of other surgery types or having an implanted device, such as a gastric band or balloon.
Heart and lung surgery
Our surgical team provides high-quality heart and lung (cardiothoracic) surgical care to patients with diseases of the heart, lungs, trachea, esophagus, diaphragm, chest wall and mediastinum.
Cardiothoracic conditions we commonly treat are:
- Chest wall cancer
- Heart disease
- Heart failure
- Lung cancer
- Pleural effusion
Reconstructive pelvic surgery
Our surgeons specialize in minimally invasive reconstructive pelvic surgery for women. Our obstetrician-gynecologists (OB/GYNs) have years of experience treating pelvic conditions, including pelvic prolapse.
Surgery for breast cancer
We offer advanced technology and surgical procedures as a treatment for breast cancer.
Surgical options offered include:
- Breast-conserving surgery
- Minimally invasive breast biopsy
- Minimally invasive surgical lymph node assessment
- Various types of mastectomy
Surgery for gynecologic cancer
Through our oncology program, we provide patients access to treatments for multiple types of gynecologic cancer, including:
- Cervical cancer
- Endometrial cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Uterine cancer
- Vaginal cancer
- Vulvar cancer
When possible, our doctors use robotic technology to perform minimally invasive surgical procedures. This is done with much smaller incisions and thin instruments.
Minimally invasive, robot-assisted surgery offers patients many advantages, such as:
- Fewer complications
- Less harm to surrounding tissue
- Less postoperative pain
- Quicker recuperation
- Reduced blood loss
- Reduced scarring
- Shorter hospital stays