Obstetricians in Virginia
At HCA Virginia Physicians, our obstetrician-gynecologists (OB/GYNs) provide outstanding obstetric care—including prenatal and postpartum care—to women in Virginia. Our goal is to support you throughout your journey and ensure you feel comfortable and informed about your options for pregnancy.
To visit one of our obstetricians, schedule an appointment online.
What is obstetrics?
Most doctors who focus on women's care are trained in both obstetric and gynecologic care—these doctors are obstetrician-gynecologists, or OB/GYNs. Some of these specialists choose to focus primarily on obstetrics, dealing with childbirth and pregnancy-related health concerns. This ranges from family planning and fertility to labor and delivery and postpartum care.
At HCA Virginia Physicians, our goal is to provide comprehensive, compassionate obstetric care to ensure expectant mothers feel prepared for their special day. To achieve that, our expert obstetricians work closely with each patient to create an individualized plan for their pregnancy. This plan includes support and services for prenatal care, labor and delivery and postpartum care.
Prenatal and perinatal care
In addition to regularly scheduled checkups during pregnancy, our obstetricians offer prenatal and perinatal services to women who may have a pregnancy that is considered high-risk. Along with other specialists—including maternal-fetal medicine physicians, genetic counselors, nurses and ultrasonographers—our doctors ensure you receive the extra care you deserve during your pregnancy.
Our prenatal services include:
- Gestational diabetes counseling—Gestational diabetes is a form of diabetes that occurs during pregnancy. We work with mothers experiencing gestational diabetes to minimize symptoms.
- Perinatal consultations—Perinatal consultations help doctors determine if there are any indicators that the pregnancy may be high-risk. Early identification of high-risk pregnancies allow for intervention or specific care plans.
- Preconception counseling—Preconception counseling helps doctors determine the likelihood of a high-risk pregnancy before the mother becomes pregnant. This enables women to make informed decisions about childbirth.
- Prenatal testing—Our obstetricians offer prenatal testing to diagnose genetic and structural defects that may be present at birth, including:
- Cleft lip
- Congenital birth defects
- Down syndrome (trisomy 21)
- Spina bifida
- Edward's syndrome (trisomy 18)
Labor and delivery
The birth of your child is a special moment, which is why we want you to know you have options when it comes to your birth plan. Our obstetricians work closely with you to discuss all of your questions and concerns about labor and delivery, and create a plan that suits your needs.
Some labor and delivery services will vary by the hospital your doctor is associated with, however, common services include:
- Access to soaking tubs before childbirth
- Labor and delivery facility tours
- Lactation consulting before and after childbirth
- Personalized birth plans
When it comes to pregnancy, care shouldn't end after delivery. Our team offers continued postpartum care and support after childbirth to mothers and their infants. We will schedule ongoing check-ups for both mother and baby to ensure a healthy start to your new journey together.